Sunday, May 3, 2009

To the Max

Writing that title I couldn't help but instantly think of Zack Morris and crew chilling at The Max on Saved by the Bell. Ah the good old days. I still watch the reruns early mornings when I'm awake and will never get sick of them.

Anyway to my point, I am absolutely in love with Nicole Richie's outfit in this photo. I love every piece of it. I have been in search of the perfect maxi skirt for a while. (Ask my mom, I tortured her with my need for one.) When I saw Nicole wearing this look, it confirmed my love for all things maxi. It's a new take on the popular maxi dress style. (Which I love equally as much.) I love the way she pairs her Dries Van Noten skirt with a Phillip Lim 3.1 Rolled Sleeve Muscle Tee, Minnetonka black ankle lace ups and a knit beanie. It's effortless chic.
Recently I took a trip to my local crafts store and bought some jersey fabric since I wasn't having any luck finding a skirt like Nicole's. I attemtped my first major sewing DIY project and made a black skirt with an elastic waistband. Let me remind you though that I do not remember how to thread a sewing machine so all stitiching was done by hand. Ouch! It took me a few hours but it's definitely cute. However I tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to my DIY projects (I get it from my mom) and refuse to wear it until I get the stitching perfect.

So until that's perfect, I took a trip with my dad to Target and found maybe the most perfect maxi skirt. It's exactly what I have been looking for and bugging everyone about. It's a Mossimo Black Maxi Skirt and it's adorably chic for only $19.99. I wore it last night for the first time with a white hanes wife beater, AA grey zipup, plain flipflops and my own knit beanie that I sewed by hand out of a hood (maybe another post on that?). I topped it off with my black leather jacket and Rayban aviators. My dad told me I looked like a gypsy like the ones that surround the Duomo in Florence (where I used to study with my best friend AK...shoutout!). But I thought I looked cute and comfortable anyway. Plus it was the first outfit I got to wear in a long time where my knee brace was fully hidden. (Who would have known that a knee brace can make any outfit look ugly...I've been suffering for nearly 2 months with it.)

Would love to know what you think of the look. Too Esmeralda for you? Hey, it's whatever works for you.

xx

1 comment:

  1. love how you planned your outfit! and definatly share the same love for nicole richie.
    xo.

    ReplyDelete